Tuesday, January 28, 2014

BRAZILIAN HEART
February 2014
Since 1998

Let me start by saying how grateful I am!

The Beverly Hills Outlook magazine granted me the title
"World Music Artist of 2013"

I’m pregnant with a new show! 

I had the opportunity to express my love in words and actions to my friend and great musician Antonio de Sant'Anna before he passed unexpectedly in 2013!

The Brazilian Celebration 3 show 
produced annually by Marcia Argolo and I is set for April 2014! 

I’m teaching art to middle school kids and learning tons about Life! 
Thank you, Nan Young/Art Trek.


SHOWS 

Singing with Viver Brasil Dance Company 
Saturday, February 7 at 8pm @ Nate Holden Performing Arts Center
Use code VB to receive a 20% discount ($25 tickets only)
The VIP $75 package ticket includes tickets to the show, cocktails, delicious hors d'oueuvres, live music by Samba Society, and DJ sets by Reyes. Proceeds from the VIP reception will benefit Viver Brasil programming. 
Honorees of the night: Brazilian musician Paulinho da Costa and choreographer Kenny Long


Tuesday, February 18 at 8:30pm @ Jazz at the CAP (New Spot!)
Kátia Moraes and Brazilian Hearts
Featuring 2014 Grammy winner Hussain Jiffry on bass, Mitchell Long on guitar, and Walter Rodriguez on drums/percussion
13752 Ventura Blvd., Sherman Oaks, CA 91423
(818) 990-2001

Sunday, February 16 at 1pm @ MOLAA
Singing with Samba Society - Free
628 Alamitos Ave., Long Beach, CA 90802
http://latinola.com/event.php?event=22222

Friday, February 28 at 8pm @ Vitello’s
Kátia Moraes and Pure Samba (Carnaval)
4349 Tujunga Ave, Studio City, CA 91604
(818)769-0905

A TUNE MY MOM TAUGHT ME
I got that coughing flu that is going around here in California. I wish my mom was still alive to apply Vick Vaporub on my chest and back. She would do that in a very slow pace and in a circular motion...just like a slow tune... This reminds me that she taught me this song while walking with me on a sandy beach! Ah, good memories!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aFgHYTGDnE


BRASIL IN THE 2014 GRAMMY:
Paquito de Rivera with Trio Corrente won Best Latin Jazz Album
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcRZr-Ypzh8

RARE BRAZILIAN MOVIE: "Quando o Carnaval Chegar" written and directed by Cacá Diegues in 1972. Featuring Nara Leão, Maria Bethânia , Hugo Carvana, and Chico Buarque.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q3_g3lZTtM  

OLD PICTURE
Had the honor to perform with Sambaguru band @ The Playboy Jazz Festival at the Hollywood Bowl years ago. Here's a pic of the Press Party at the Playboy Mansion that singer Cathy Segal-Garcia posted on Facebook.

BRAZILIAN DOCUMENTARIST EDUARDO COUTINHO (1933- 2014)
This docudrama was first inspired to tell the story of the 1962 murder of a peasant revolutionary. Before Eduardo could finish his project, the 1964 military coup stopped it. In 1981 he got the original scenes back and filmed the reactions of the peasants.

Peace and Joy!
Kátia : )

P.S.: I'm a work in progress!
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be."
- Khalil Gibran



No comments: